Leap In Leap Out Physiotherapy & Wellness Logo W Clear

Groin Pain In Soccer Players

Groin pain is very common amongst soccer players. In Europe, it was suggested that up to 28% of players suffer from hip or groin related injuries. Soccer is a fast paced sport and it requires power through the legs as it has a lot of rapid changing movements. Due to excess training or poor biomechanics of kicking and running, overtime it could result in chronic groin pain.

 

Who is at risk of groin injuries?

  • Previous groin or hip injuries
  • Great discrepancy between adductor and abductor strength
  • Lack of adductor, abductor or core strength
  • Lack of conditioning and soccer specific training

 

According to Brukner & Kahn, 2014, 27% of the groin injuries are traumatic meaning it is acute such as a muscle tear. Whereas the other 73% are overuse injuries. Due to excessive use of the muscles or joints, the structure cannot keep up with the demand the athlete is putting on. Therefore it will eventually cause tears or it would become a chronic injury.

 

How does physiotherapy prevent and treat groin or hip pain?

  • Load management: When patients come into the clinic they are often in a lot of pain. Therefore it is important to manage their pain before starting strengthening exercises. Physiotherapists will advise to possibly cut down training frequency to allow optimal healing of the structure. They will also inform you of what you should be avoiding such as activities that aggravates your pain.
  • Exercises: Physiotherapists will perform a full assessment especially testing the strength of glutes, adductors and abdominal muscles. After the pain is managed, an exercise program will be prescribed to you. The aim is to improve the strength, flexibility and mobility of the structure. As we mentioned before if the ratio between the adductor and abductor
  • Return to sport: After recovering from the devastating injury through exercises, physiotherapists will assess the muscle strength and sport specific movements once again. This involves rapid cutting, kicking, springing etc.

 

This information can be used to gain a better understanding of groin pain. To find out more about how we can help, or to book in for a consultation you can contact us via our Limp in Leap out Physiotherapy & Wellness contact us page, or book online here.

Share This Post

Groin pain in soccer players

Groin Pain In Soccer Players

Groin pain is very common amongst soccer players. In Europe, it was suggested that up to 28% of players suffer